If you are a registered nurse, biomedical scientist, radiographer or a midwife you are welcome to practice in Sweden after recognition of the National Board of Health and Welfare. Below you will find some practical information where to start the process.

Apply for a license to practice

Nurse, biomedical scientist, radiographer and midwife are protected professional titles. Therefor everyone in these professions needs apply for a license to practice at the National Board of Health and Welfare. 

If you have trained in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, the processing time for the application is about 3 months from the date that your application is complete. 

If you are trained in a country outside the EU, the process may be longer. 

You must also demonstrate documented knowledge of the Swedish language. Please visit the website of the National Board of Health and Welfare for additional information.

If you want to look for employment opportunities in Sweden, contact the National Employment Service. Further information about working in Sweden can be found at the Migration Board.

Healthcare in Sweden

The responsibility for health and medical care is primarily financed through taxes. The Government establishes principles and guidelines, while the provision of health care is the responsibility of county councils and municipalities. The latter may also procure private providers of healthcare. The National Board of Health and Welfare is the national supervisory authority which also regulates the health care professions.